I love Bangkok. It is one of the most amazing cities I have ever experienced. But as with most great cities, traffic is a problem. One way to get around this is to get creative with your choice of Bangkok transportation. One of my favorites is the Express Boat on the Chao Praya River. It is fast, it is fun and there’s an amazing view of the city. Here’s a video I put together on the basics plus a few steps below on how to get from A to B using this form of Bangkok transportation:
1) Decide where you want to go. Each of the stops are both numbered and named and there is a map of the river at each stop. Express Boats go very regularly so there won’t be much of a wait (an average of 5-10 minutes)
2) Board the Express Boat quickly when it arrives. You have to be ready exactly when the boat arrives or you will be left behind. As you can see from the video, the staff are loud and adamant about the fact that they are on a schedule. Don’t mess with them. Just board and move into the boat as quick as you can unless you want to get yelled at.
3) Pay your fare. Depending on where you are going you will pay 10 – 30 baht (the upper end is just over $1.00 USD).
4) Enjoy the ride. The Express Boat has offered me the best panoramic views of Bangkok so far. Even as pure sight seeing, this is a lot of fun (and cheaper than other more touristy tour options).
5) Keep track of where you get off. As you approach each stop, look out for the sign with the name of the stop and the number. This way you won’t miss your stop.
6) Hop off quickly. As you can see from the video, hustle is key on the Express Boat. Get with the program and make sure you don’t hold up the line…